How to properly whitelist.

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 09:15:08 GMT 2002

At 22:41 09/12/2002, you wrote:
>Forgot one thing, now that I'm all excited about wildcards:
>
>There is a very nice set of reports and messages in various languages
>included in MailScanner.
>Could we make a rules list that would return a report in the senders
>language based on the domain they are sending it from (or possibly even
>the encoding of the message)?
>
>It wouldn't work 100% because you cannot set a default language for a .com
>or .net other than English but with a .se it would be nice to include
>something in Swedish. Maybe even include an English report as well
>together with the foreign language report for completeness?
>
>Would be kinda neato :)

For example:

MailScanner.conf contains:
Sender Virus Report = /etc/MailScanner/rules/sender.virus.rules

and then sender.virus.rules contains lines like this:
From:   *@*.de          /etc/MailScanner/reports/de/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.dk          /etc/MailScanner/reports/dk/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.uk          /etc/MailScanner/reports/en/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.es          /etc/MailScanner/reports/es/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.fr          /etc/MailScanner/reports/fr/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.it          /etc/MailScanner/reports/it/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.nl          /etc/MailScanner/reports/nl/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.br          /etc/MailScanner/reports/bt_pr/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.ro          /etc/MailScanner/reports/ro/sender.virus.report.txt
From:   *@*.sk          /etc/MailScanner/reports/sk/sender.virus.report.txt
FromOrTo:       default
/etc/MailScanner/reports/en/sender.virus.report.txt

And don't even ask how the MailScanner.conf file knows you gave the
filename of a ruleset rather than the name of a report file, it just
does... :-)