file descriptors on FreeBSD

Craig Bates c.bates at COMNET.CO.NZ
Sun Dec 8 21:37:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I've got a problem with MailScanner on FreeBSD4.7  It just dies every now and
then for no apparent reason.  Sendmail is however complaining in the logs:
Dec  9 10:01:03 mx3 MailScanner[39033]: Spam Actions: message gB8L0pST039831
actions are deliver
Dec  9 10:01:04 mx3 MailScanner[39033]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
Dec  9 10:01:04 mx3 sendmail[39837]: File descriptors missing on startup:
stdin, stdout, stderr; Bad file descriptor
Dec  9 10:01:04 mx3 MailScanner[39033]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages

So I'm assuming that the file descriptors problem is related to MailScanner
dying every now and then.  I have recently installed two new FreeBSD4.7
servers and installed MailScanner on both and both have this problem, so it
is not hardware.

Sendmail does not give this error on every message, only a few per day.  Are
there any FreeBSD experts out there?

Thanks,

Craig