Autoupdate cron jobs

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 18:13:52 GMT 2002

At 18:04 05/12/2002, you wrote:
> >> Sophos entry in cron.daily since I only run F-Prot.
> >>
> >>I also don't like it. Maybe it's better to use another rpm
> >>(antivirus-update-scripts.rpm)
> >>for that?
> >
> > The first thing the Sophos cron script does is check that Sophos is
> > actually installed. It exits immediately if it isn't installed. So
> > what's wrong with just leaving it there? I can't see it does any harm. I
> > agree it wastes about a millisecond of CPU once per day, but that's
> > hardly the end of the world.
> > --
> > Julian Field
> > www.MailScanner.info
> > MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
>
>Well, for me it's definitely NOT the end of the world.  It just generates
>an error message in my logs.  I just remove the file and forget about it.

What I am tempted to do is add more of them (one for each of the autoupdate
scripts).
Would you all prefer
    1) one for each autoupdate script,
or
    2) 1 that did the autoupdate script for all of the scanners it can find
installed
or
    3) 1 sample script that you can edit for your scanner (i.e. what you
get now)
??

Option 1 would create much simpler scripts, which people will find easier
to edit if they have their virus scanner installed in a non-standard
location. People are far more reluctant to edit a big script than a little
simple one.
--
Julian Field