Mailscanner consuming resources

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 09:40:51 IST 2002

Check your /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming directory tree for any core files.
Does it say anything in the logs?
Have you studied the contents of the message to see why it might cause a
problem?
Modern versions of MailScanner have timeouts on everything invoked
externally to protect against DoS attacks.

At 09:27 29/08/2002, you wrote:
>Usualy about twice a day I am getting a problem with mailscanner where
>it will fail to sweep a message correctly and the message will never
>leave the mailscanner/incoming directory. The load averages the machine
>will reach up to and over 1.0. During this time the top two processes
>are mailscanner and sweep.
>
>To bring the load averages down I have to go into the
>/var/spool/mqueue.in directory and delete both the qf and df files for
>the message that is 'stuck'.
>
>I am running mailscanner-3.15-3 with Sophos on Solaris 8 on an intel
>platform.
>
>Has anyone else come across this, or know what might be causing it?
>

>Phil Kendall
>Technical Systems Administrator
>Total Connectivity Providers

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ