File layout

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Wed Aug 28 10:12:52 IST 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:29:46 +1200, you wrote:

>* For a package distributed by a third party in a prepackaged form that
>  will install automatically, it should go in /opt
>* For a package installed manually by the sysadmin, it should default
>  to going in /usr/local (but the sysadmin is obviously free to put it
>  wherever the hell they like)

I install MailScanner by hand in /opt. It is a standard in our ICT
department. It takes some tweeking of some files in the tar-ball but I
have a nice procedure written out (including diff-ing and copying to the
redundant server) and it works.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,