double extension rule

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at BARNET.AC.UK
Wed Aug 21 15:08:54 IST 2002

On 21 Aug 2002 at 16:00, Brandon Friedman wrote:

> I would like to setup an exception to the double extension filename rule.
>
> One user has a particular file that arrives in this format:
> xxx.dat.pdf
>
> But mailscanner deletes it, how can we allow just that one file through
> without disabling the double extension rule entirely?

This one's been answered a couple of times. Might be time to stick in
the FAQ ...

Put an allow entry above the double extension rule if you're sure
that you're happy allowing that filetype through regardless (in this
case pdf). It'll match on the first expression found.

For example:

allow   \.pdf   -       -

# Deny all other double file extensions. This catches any hidden
filenames.

Regards
This communication may contain privileged or confidential information which
is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you may not distribute or use this
communication or the information it contains.  If this e-mail has reached you
in error, please delete it and any attachment.

Internet communications are not secure and Barnet College does not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.  Any views or opinions
expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Barnet College.

Please note that Barnet College reserves the right to monitor the
source/destinations of all incoming or outgoing e-mail communications.