Whitelist Problem

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Mon Aug 12 22:29:11 IST 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Julian Field wrote:

> At 19:15 12/08/2002, you wrote:
> >I hate to admit this but I can't get the whitelist to work correctly.
> >
> >I added the following line to /usr/local/MailScanner/etc/whitelist.conf
> >(I'm going from memory and I'm not exactly sure of the filename)
> >
> >From: lyris.gamespy.com
> >
> >I assumed that would be enough to have all mail arriving from that
> >location to be passed through without marking it as spam.  However, any
> >mail showing up is still processed and marked by spamassassin.
> >
> >What have I missed?
>
> The address that is relevant here is the envelope sender address, not the
> From: header. Check your maillog to see if you are matching the right thing.
>
> Also if you ask it to always include the spamassassin header, does it say
> anything about whitelisting?
> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ

Here's the actual output of the spamassassin header...

Message g7CCsWZ22724 from 207.38.1.8 (lyris.gamespy.com) is spam according
to SpamAssassin (score=24.2, required 7, MSGID_CHARS_SPAM, PLING,
DOUBLE_CAPSWORD, CLICK_BELOW, HTTP_WITH_EMAIL_IN_URL, UNSUB_PAGE,
SUPERLONG_LINE, HTML_WITH_BGCOLOR, BIG_FONT, MAILTO_LINK, TRACKER_ID,
RELAYING_FRAME, JAVASCRIPT, CLICK_HERE_LINK, MIME_EXCESSIVE_QP,
FROM_AND_TO_SAME, CTYPE_JUST_HTML, AWL)

>From this isn't "FROM: lyris.gamespy.com" the correct entry into
spam.whitelist.conf?  Also, the last item is AWL.  Everytime that
mailscanner restarts it  says to autowhitelisting is enabled??

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer