sendmail log altered

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Wed Aug 7 12:20:27 IST 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:05:23 +0200, you wrote:

>launched by
>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
>-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
>
>i have different logging of sendmail process in syslog.
>
>I mean.
>before for every mail passing in this system, I have a row logging
>from=<sender at ...> and a row logging to=<recipient at ...>
>
>Now i have only two row with to=<recipient at ...>
>
>is it possibile to have from: logging back again?

I see thousands of "stand-alone" to= lines. They are generated bij the
sendmail processing the queue. You can find these lines allways after
the MailScanner lines where he tells he has processed a number of
messages from mqueue.in.

The sendmail accepting the connections should still generate from= and
to= lines. Mine is. You can find them before the MailScanner lines.

If you stop both MailScanner and the sendmail processing the queue
(leaving only the queueonly-sendmail) you should check whether that
sendmail logs connections (you can try it yourself if you don't get
connections that often).

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,