Kaspersky 4.0.1.0 & MailScanner 3.22-10 ?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Thu Aug 1 07:34:20 IST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:26:30 -0400, you wrote:

>  My organization
>already uses Kaspersky on the desktops and file servers so we need to go
>with Kaspersky on the mail server based on our discount with our reseller.

I would recommend against Kaspersky when you already use it on desktops
and file servers. If Kaspersky is late with a signature it would be late
on all systems. If you use another virusscanner you would have more
change that one of them has a signature file in time.

On our fileservers (and exchange) and desktops we run NAV. On the
central servers we run f-prot. F-prot detected Yaha (they call it
Lentin) one or two days before NAV. So when the outbreak started we
where protected by f-prot while within the exchange environment the
virus could be spread as some people got the virus from outside our own
mailservers.

And I don't think you would get a deal with Kaspersky that is as cheap
as f-prot. We have looked at Kaspersky and it would cost us 14.000 EURO
the first year and 9.800 EURO for the next years.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,