Whats your config like..

Kelly Hamlin fizz at BOMB.NET
Thu Apr 25 17:11:52 IST 2002

I do have a second box setup to be a secondary MX with no child limit. Ive
got a couple p3 800's laying around, im gonna see if i cant make use of
these.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quentin Campbell" <Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Whats your config like..

Kelly

You need more and faster boxes! Two dual 1GHz processor Linux boxes with
1GB or 2GB of memory should cope with that load and some to spare. If
the two boxes are MX'd to your mail domain(s) then you also have some
resiliance should a server fail.

This site handles more than 90K incoming messages a day. If you also
count outgoing email then our Mail Hubs handle more than 200K
incoming/outgoing messages a day.

With just MailScanner + McAfee AV software running, we could cope with
that message load shared across 4 x Sun SPARC Ultra-5 boxes running
Solaris 7 and sendmail. These have 266MHz (approx) CPUs and 384MB
memory.

Two of the four Mail Hubs are significantly busier than the others and
we could not run SpamAssassin on these two without building up large
backlogs and even refusing incoming connections at peak times. For this
reason we had to disable the use of SpamAssassin.

Like you we wanted to run SpamAssassin. The solution was to replace each
of the four Sun boxes with dual 1GHz Intel processor boxes (2GB memory).
We run RedHat Linux 7.2 in place of Solaris. I simply recompiled our
existing sendmail under Linux and run it with the existing sendmail.cf
file. Building the Redhat system and installing MailScanner, McAfee
software and SpamAssassin was easier than when working with Solaris!

For key infrastructure servers I would always recommend using RAID; in
our case we mirror all disks (RAID 1). Each server has 4 disks providing
a mirrored set of 2 disks; the first is used as the system disk +
sendmail log disk + local applications disk while the second disk of the
set is the sendmail spool disk.

I hope this info is of some help.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.