File extensions

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at STRATH.AC.UK
Mon Sep 3 10:55:23 IST 2001

Hi folks,

I've been asked to add ".sit" for Macintosh Stuffit Expander ("Stuffit
Archive - Binary" according to one source) files on to the allow list for
MailScanner's filename checking.  I note that there is already ".sit.bin"
in the default list -- are they representing the same thing?  Would one
expect one extension over the other?

On a similar note, I added .sea for Self Extracting Archive, another Mac
one.  Is there any notable danger in that?  I guess it is no worse than
allowing plain Windows .exe through.

Finally, here's another note I made based on investigations by someone in
our Audio-Visual department, which might be of use to some people.  If
anyone can cast more light on it, feel free to let me know!

# When a Mac sends out an EPS file to a PC-using client, it needs to send a
# TIFF preview so that the PC can actually use it, since EPS files are
# generally not widely understood without special software on Windows.
# When the Mac does this, an additional .spc extension gets added to the
# filename.
# We'll assume here that .eps.spc are benign and allow them, unless we hear
# of Really Bad Things that an .spc extension can do on Windows.
allow   \.eps\.spc$

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks                                   Computing Officer, IT Services
Mailmaster, Listmaster, Webmaster,       University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Cachemaster                                           jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk