BUG: File's not renamed when caught with the file extension checker

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 12:36:53 IST 2001

At 19:13 19/10/2001, you wrote:
>I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I am new to this list.
>During my testing of MailScanner 2.53-1 I've noticed that if I send a file
>through with the name test.vbs or test.jpg.vgs, which does not actually
>contain a virus, it does get quarantined, but the mail is sent on to the
>user with the virus warning named test.vbs or test.jpg.vbs. If I edit this
>file, I see the correct message, but of course people can't double click the
>message to view it.

I have just tested this feature, and it appears to be working as intended.
I mailed myself a file containing a (harmless) online1.htm.vbs file, and
the attachment in the received message was correctly named "VirusWarning.txt".

I would have to suspect the version of the MIME-tools perl module you are
using. I recommend that you use exactly the version that is posted on my
web site at
         http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/perl.shtml
as there are many "ropey" versions of that module.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ