Alternatives to Sophos

Hamish Marson hamish at TRAVELLINGKIWI.COM
Fri Nov 30 23:36:32 GMT 2001

Peter Valian wrote:

> If Im not mistaken, you technically only need one license to run on your
> mail server.  Only one user is *technically* scanning mail (root).

You're mistaken. The license is actually for the number of users to be
protected by the software...

> we use mcafee on our campus...we have some sort of site license for
> desktop scanning software and they just gave us the unix scanner as part
> of that agreement.  I have no idea what we paid.
>
> -peter
>
> Stephen Lee wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am currently running Mailscanner 2.60-2 and the demo version of Sophos
> >on a Redhat7.1 - Sendmail 8.11.6. It works very well but the Sophos
> >license for 10 users is $600 USD. When converted to Canadian dollars,
> >that is very expensive for us. We only have 5-6 mail users so it's hard
> >to justify the cost especially when you consider that each desktop copy
> >of Norton AV is around $40. Are there alternatives to Sophos that work
> >with Mailscanner which might be more friendly on the pocket for small
> >businesses?
> >
> >Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> >Stephen
> >

> --
> Peter Valian
> Network & Systems Administrator
> Southwestern University
> Georgetown, Texas

I don't suffer from Insanity...         | Linux User #237369
        I enjoy every minute of it...   |

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/          |