Warnings about file locking

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Tue Nov 13 13:06:25 GMT 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:03:29AM +0000, Adrian Barker wrote:
> In the syslog files we see a number of errors of the form:
>
> Nov 13 02:13:11 pop-b.ucl.ac.uk mailscanner[20961]: Failed to lock /var/spool/mqueue.in/qfCAA21422: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Does anyone know what these mean, and what should be done about them ? It does not
> look like a load-related problem, as they occur throughout the day and night.
> The machine is running Solaris 8.

It most likely means that something else had the file locked at the time.
Like sendmail, most likely. The logging for the locking is currently quite
anal, as I mad quite a lot of changes to it when putting the code through the
mangel to add support for Exim. And I/we just haven't got round to making the
logging properly configurable yet. It's on the list...

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
You would if you could but you can't so you won't.