Subject Line control (SPAM CONTROL)

Scott Farrell sfarrell at ICCONSULTING.COM.AU
Sun Nov 4 06:48:04 GMT 2001

Andrew,

I had a little dig around and came up with a few things.

1. I think sendmail.pl is the place to play with support for spamassasin.
2. it looks as though someone has already had a plug at some other "Spam
Killer"  - to a search for Kill in sendmail.pl
3. all we need to do is send the entire email to stdin of spamc, and read
it back from stdout
4. parse the subject and look for *****SPAM*****
5. copy over the header X-Spam-Status if spam detected (see 4 above).

spamc is a nice little proggy that will read from stdin, talk to a daemon
(spamd), which checks for spam, writes in the subject and body and
headers, and returns to spamc, and spamc spits the email back to stdout.

I think I'll go pick up a copy of O'Reilly learning perl or something, and
make a proper attempt at some of this.

not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but I got as far as:
http://cpan.perl.org/doc/manual/html/pod/perlipc.html#Bidirectional_Communication_with
which has an example to read and write to stdin,stdout.

I would rather spamassasin not scribble so much in the email, but rather
return flags, and let mailscanner follow its rules. So basically I think
we parse the email coming back from spamc, and discard it, and makes
decisions in mailscanner. So we might need to reprocess the output of
spamc, and look for *****SPAM***** in the subject, and use that as the key
from output from spamc to tell mailscanner it is spam, I think the header:
X-Spam-Status would be good to keep/process as well, its output looks
something like this:

which shows which rules were broken , leading to the spam decision.

this is the stuff it adds to the body of the email:

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results
----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future, using
SPAM: the built-in mail filtering support in your mail reader.
SPAM:
SPAM: Content analysis details:   (10 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: Hit! (0.1 points)  Possibly-forged 'Received:' header found
SPAM: Hit! (3.2 points)  From: does not include a real name
SPAM: Hit! (1.4 points)  Valid-looking To "undisclosed-recipients"
SPAM: Hit! (3.3 points)  Invalid Date: header (has AM/PM)
SPAM: Hit! (0.3 points)  Message-Id has no @ sign
SPAM: Hit! (1.7 points)  BODY: /remove.*subject/i
SPAM:
SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results
---------------------

I don't think we can do much with that - I dont think that much is allowed
in headers, and I think it is "over the top" for the mail body.

regards
Scott Farrell

http://www.icconsulting.com.au
ic Consulting - the people that make eBusiness happen.
We offer e-business consulting and perform services. We deliver high
impact consulting, and fast turn around projects for our clients.
Ask us about Web Content Management,  Web Self Service, or working closer
with your customers or suppliers.

0412 927 156,   02 9411 3622  mailto:sfarrell at icconsulting.com.au

Andrew Hoying <andrewh at CQG.COM>
Sent by: MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
31/10/2001 04:22 AM
Please respond to MailScanner mailing list