Cost of Virus Scanner!

Fred Dick fredd at CI.ASPEN.CO.US
Tue Dec 11 18:59:13 GMT 2001

Cost of Virus Scanner:

Just my 2 cents -- I've been trying a Sophos demo for the past two months
and am totally happy with the product and the support help I've received.

I originally was drawn to Sophos because we have Solaris boxes that have PC
files on the drives. I am also very pleased with the Mailscanner program as
it is our first line of defense against viruses and works great! For
viruses that don't pass through our mail gateway one definitely needs
protection on the PC as well.

With viruses like Badtrans that capture and email passwords, the issue is
raised about what kind of protection people have that work from home. My
understanding is that if I buy Sophos I can send it home with our users to
put on their PCs.

Saying all that, I do admit that the Sophos pricing is geared towards
buyers that can fully utilize the minimum license pack. My guess is that
Sophos doesn't want to be in the end user/small office business that is
dominated by McAfee and Norton. What probably helps confuse the issue is
that the product can scale down to a level where the pricing doesn't make
sense.

Regards,

Fred