Cost of Virus Scanner!

Carl Hogue carl at CAPAHO.COM
Tue Dec 11 04:54:44 GMT 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:46:13 +0000, Nick Phillips <nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:00:44PM +0000, Carl Hogue wrote:
>> I received a response from my friendly neighborhood Sophos dealer today.
>> He wants about $450 USD (GBP 310?) for a one-year 25 user SAVI license.
>> That's his minimum price for using Sophos to scan e-mail attachments on a
>> mail server. It seems a bit overpriced to me.
>
>That is the minimum cost for a SAVI license, but if you were to buy,
>for example, a 5-user "Classic" license then you would be entitled to
>use that on a server. That would cost a bit less (not massively so, I
>admit) and entitle you to use Sophos on all the desktops too.
>
>How many users do you actually have?
>
>--
>Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
>You will be a winner today.  Pick a fight with a four-year-old.

There are three computers in our office that are used to check e-mail coming
in from our web server.  Two are Windows machines with Norton Anti-Virus
already installed, the third is a Linux box, so it obviously doesn't need
the anti-virus software.

Sophos is working very well in its trial on our web server with MailScanner
and I'm very pleased with both.  The problem is the Sophos licensing scheme.
Although it does protect our desktops from malicious attachments coming in
through our mail server, it doesn't protect them from other sources of
infection, such as mail from other ISPs, downloads and floppy disks.  That's
why I think the license fee is too expensive if it's used only to scan
e-mail on a mail server.

Best Regards,
Carl Hogue
carl at capaho.com