ssh& ftp

Nick Phillips nwp at lemon-computing.com
Fri Aug 31 17:34:42 IST 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 05:29:32PM +0100, hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk wrote:

> I downloaded pscp and it works providing I use howard and the file
> is owned by howard . I can't log in as root.
> I have 'chowned' to howard, got the log files off and 'chowned' back
> to root
> Messy but works, is there a better way?

There are (at least) two ways of doing it:

1) enable root logins over ssh on the linux box (bad idea, but possible);
2) have the logfiles owned and readable by a group that (only) people who
   need to read the logs are members of.

Probably best to continue this discussion off this list; it's a little bit
off-topic...

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.