{Scanned} Re: Can't get mailscanner into the 'circuit'

Mike Allen mja at FAMILYRADIO.ORG
Sun Oct 29 23:50:28 GMT 2000

To All:

MailScanner is now working on my machine.  Thanks to all who contributed to
this effort.  A summary of what was done that was actually needed follows:

1.  Of the three startup scripts in the MailScanner tarball, only mta.sh
worked properly
     on my FreeBSD v5.1-p10 system.

2.  The mta.sh startup script needed a slight modification so that
MailScanner could
     start up.

3.  I made an error in my sendmail.cf file.  The erroneous entry needed
to be restored
     to its former default.

4.  The file "INSTALL.FreeBSD" suggests that the rc.MailScanner startup
script be
     used.  I did not get this script to work properly.  That's why I
wound up using
     mta.sh.
Again thanks so very much for your responsiveness and technical help.
That has
saved me much frustration.  And a special thanks to Kevin for his
suggestion of
"ClamAV" anti-virus program.  Free is a good munber!

Mike Allen
Kevin Spicer wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 23:39, Mike Allen wrote:
>

>>All email from external sources, including this mailing list, are
>>arriving in the
>>only existing mailbox on this system and they are not tagged.
>>

>I think I just spotted your problem.  You have set
>
>Virus Scanning = none
>
>in MailScanner.conf.  This turns off all processing, MailScanner just
>passes it between queues. [none is not really a valid setting for this
>directive, it should be yes or no - but the config parser is smart/dumb
>enough to treat none as no]
>
>If you want to scan only for spam then set Virus Scanning = Yes and
>Virus Scanners = none.  You might also want to turn off the various
>filename/ content checks if this really is your intention (but worry
>about that once it works!)
>
>Personally I'd recommend always running a virus scanner (ClamAV is good
>and free is money is an issue).
>

>BMRB International
>http://www.bmrb.co.uk
>+44 (0)20 8566 5000
>This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
>recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
>sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
>or other action taken in respect of this email or in
>reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
>accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
>content of any email which does not directly relate to our
>business.

believed to be clean.